22 jan
Hi all,
Just “enjoying” my last few days where day of the week and time of the day have about as much meaning as what year we are in for normal folks. I’m subsisting on chef Boyardee from willie and turkey chili from toni and cindi anymore, I’ve reached my limit of tolerance on the chow situation here at the flight line chow hall. The main chow hall is about 30 minute walk away or a 30 minute wait for a bus to take you there, so I usually don’t get down there, plus after the Mosul incident, I’m very wary of places of large gatherings. The security on this base has been impressive for the duration of our stay, but nothing is sacred when these insurgents are plotting and biding their time in my opinion.
The pre-election violence is escalating as anyone with a mind between their ears could’ve predicted, you see that most of the targets are soft ones, Iraqis, Iraqi police and political figures. The attacks on US Forces have stepped up to in the form of IEDs and indirect fire attacks, but we are getting wise to Johnny Jihad’s ways after a year of this crap, and he chooses targets that do not shoot back or know will yield high casualties, eventually the Iraqi police will catch on and start fighting and being more vigilant. I don’t think there is a big problem recruiting people, it’s just recruiting brave, dedicated people that is the problem, which in my opinion, is few and far between in this land. As expected, Coalition forces are planning to surge operations in the days leading up to the vote. The polling centers still remain a secret for force protection reasons so Johnny doesn’t try and stake them out for any longer than we let him. I’m sure we’ll have some surprises or “counter-threat tactics” which we’ll employ to keep an already below average intelligence insurgent off balance and wondering.
Becky thanks for all the wonderful words of praise for Twin Cities, I’m really looking forward to the scenery change. I really love SoCal, and maybe I’ll even move back, but winters are already mocking me from a distance and making me sometimes wonder what I have got myself into =;) I’ll have to chat with you about the MBA when I get back, I’m not so sure why I want to get one, I just know that I need to get one in order to set myself up for the 1stCivDiv (1st Civilian Division) =;) I haven’t made up my mind to stay in or get out yet, but I know this is a young man’s game, and I’m not as young as I used to be, that’s for damn sure.
Charece, thanks for being my social coordinator. I’m sure you plan on getting me plumped up quickly, but I’m running now, so I should be able to eat a lot and keep the weight off as I begin my binge eating and drinking when I get back, sometimes overdoing it is just so right =;)
Hopefully the blog will still be active when I depart, I’m sure my point of view won’t be nearly as first hand and educated, but it’s been a great tool for keeping in touch with friends and family who I would’ve otherwise lost touch with. Shout outs to Matt Pie for the wonderful idea. Getting a blog was just as cool as getting a piece of mail over here.
We’ll be leaving here within the next 5 days or so and be back in socal on the evening of 28 Jan. My post deployment leave will start on 4 March and go until 28 March. Plan on seeing whatever time Charece can swindle out of work and doing something with her
going to see Chad in NM, possibly stopping by Twin Cities for a few days and getting the lay of the land, going home to Harrisburg, so it should be quite action packed and adventurous. Can’t wait to catch up with everyone.
Love and Prayers,
Will
Just “enjoying” my last few days where day of the week and time of the day have about as much meaning as what year we are in for normal folks. I’m subsisting on chef Boyardee from willie and turkey chili from toni and cindi anymore, I’ve reached my limit of tolerance on the chow situation here at the flight line chow hall. The main chow hall is about 30 minute walk away or a 30 minute wait for a bus to take you there, so I usually don’t get down there, plus after the Mosul incident, I’m very wary of places of large gatherings. The security on this base has been impressive for the duration of our stay, but nothing is sacred when these insurgents are plotting and biding their time in my opinion.
The pre-election violence is escalating as anyone with a mind between their ears could’ve predicted, you see that most of the targets are soft ones, Iraqis, Iraqi police and political figures. The attacks on US Forces have stepped up to in the form of IEDs and indirect fire attacks, but we are getting wise to Johnny Jihad’s ways after a year of this crap, and he chooses targets that do not shoot back or know will yield high casualties, eventually the Iraqi police will catch on and start fighting and being more vigilant. I don’t think there is a big problem recruiting people, it’s just recruiting brave, dedicated people that is the problem, which in my opinion, is few and far between in this land. As expected, Coalition forces are planning to surge operations in the days leading up to the vote. The polling centers still remain a secret for force protection reasons so Johnny doesn’t try and stake them out for any longer than we let him. I’m sure we’ll have some surprises or “counter-threat tactics” which we’ll employ to keep an already below average intelligence insurgent off balance and wondering.
Becky thanks for all the wonderful words of praise for Twin Cities, I’m really looking forward to the scenery change. I really love SoCal, and maybe I’ll even move back, but winters are already mocking me from a distance and making me sometimes wonder what I have got myself into =;) I’ll have to chat with you about the MBA when I get back, I’m not so sure why I want to get one, I just know that I need to get one in order to set myself up for the 1stCivDiv (1st Civilian Division) =;) I haven’t made up my mind to stay in or get out yet, but I know this is a young man’s game, and I’m not as young as I used to be, that’s for damn sure.
Charece, thanks for being my social coordinator. I’m sure you plan on getting me plumped up quickly, but I’m running now, so I should be able to eat a lot and keep the weight off as I begin my binge eating and drinking when I get back, sometimes overdoing it is just so right =;)
Hopefully the blog will still be active when I depart, I’m sure my point of view won’t be nearly as first hand and educated, but it’s been a great tool for keeping in touch with friends and family who I would’ve otherwise lost touch with. Shout outs to Matt Pie for the wonderful idea. Getting a blog was just as cool as getting a piece of mail over here.
We’ll be leaving here within the next 5 days or so and be back in socal on the evening of 28 Jan. My post deployment leave will start on 4 March and go until 28 March. Plan on seeing whatever time Charece can swindle out of work and doing something with her
going to see Chad in NM, possibly stopping by Twin Cities for a few days and getting the lay of the land, going home to Harrisburg, so it should be quite action packed and adventurous. Can’t wait to catch up with everyone.
Love and Prayers,
Will

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home