Christmas Eve from the litterbox
Hi all,
Christmas Eve Greeting from the center of the universe, Al Asad, Iraq. Today I awoke around 0730, attended a rip-roaring Department Head meeting, where we discussed such exciting things as retrograde plans and other delectable, but boring topics. Looks like my ticket home should be between 24-27 January, arriving in Socal. All subject to change of course, civilians can tell you a year out when a plane will land in San Diego that departed from Tokyo. Unfortunately the military can’t tell you even a day out when a plane will be landing in the Southwestern USA, much less where that plane will be departing from. Despite our best efforts, it is still the finest and most formidable armed force which ever walked the earth.
Congratulations to Zach and his fiancée. Cousin David, thanks for the extensive weekly update, I’m still the person the most “in the know” in the squadron, and I did have the first copy of U2’s “how to build an atomic bomb” aboard all of Al Asad…I’m pretty sure!
It’s balmy here today, mid 50’s, and overcast. If it’s not snowing, then my next choice is a cold overcast for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. A sunny Christmas day just isn’t right to me.
I enjoyed some pizza ala Willie and Dom today. I shared it with some of my squadron mates, everyone was quite impressed. Thanks Willie, very creative of you. It is by far the best slice of pizza I’ve had in 6 months!
Tonight, the senior Captains have set ourselves to be off the flight schedule for tonight and tomorrow. Rank still has its privileges, at times. We will compete in a Texas Hold Em Tournament of epic proportions. We will also pool our collective contraband liquor and drink until someone sees Santa’s Sleigh on short final to Runway 27R. If we don’t see him, we will just drink until the liquor is gone. I suspect someone will see Santa first though, as our tolerance is quite low, and we are all quite thirsty.
We have some bad Christmas music playing in the flight planning room right now, but nevertheless it is still festive. Willie and dom’s Christmas tree is in the corner as a constant seasonal reminder. I’ll send a picture of it shortly with a devilishly handsome Cobra pilot next to it.
That is about all the news fit to print from the front. Hope everyone has a Happy, Holy and Merry Christmas. Thanks for all the prayers and support from the home front.
Love, Will
Christmas Eve Greeting from the center of the universe, Al Asad, Iraq. Today I awoke around 0730, attended a rip-roaring Department Head meeting, where we discussed such exciting things as retrograde plans and other delectable, but boring topics. Looks like my ticket home should be between 24-27 January, arriving in Socal. All subject to change of course, civilians can tell you a year out when a plane will land in San Diego that departed from Tokyo. Unfortunately the military can’t tell you even a day out when a plane will be landing in the Southwestern USA, much less where that plane will be departing from. Despite our best efforts, it is still the finest and most formidable armed force which ever walked the earth.
Congratulations to Zach and his fiancée. Cousin David, thanks for the extensive weekly update, I’m still the person the most “in the know” in the squadron, and I did have the first copy of U2’s “how to build an atomic bomb” aboard all of Al Asad…I’m pretty sure!
It’s balmy here today, mid 50’s, and overcast. If it’s not snowing, then my next choice is a cold overcast for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. A sunny Christmas day just isn’t right to me.
I enjoyed some pizza ala Willie and Dom today. I shared it with some of my squadron mates, everyone was quite impressed. Thanks Willie, very creative of you. It is by far the best slice of pizza I’ve had in 6 months!
Tonight, the senior Captains have set ourselves to be off the flight schedule for tonight and tomorrow. Rank still has its privileges, at times. We will compete in a Texas Hold Em Tournament of epic proportions. We will also pool our collective contraband liquor and drink until someone sees Santa’s Sleigh on short final to Runway 27R. If we don’t see him, we will just drink until the liquor is gone. I suspect someone will see Santa first though, as our tolerance is quite low, and we are all quite thirsty.
We have some bad Christmas music playing in the flight planning room right now, but nevertheless it is still festive. Willie and dom’s Christmas tree is in the corner as a constant seasonal reminder. I’ll send a picture of it shortly with a devilishly handsome Cobra pilot next to it.
That is about all the news fit to print from the front. Hope everyone has a Happy, Holy and Merry Christmas. Thanks for all the prayers and support from the home front.
Love, Will

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home