turkey
Hi all,
Mom, Dad, Mr Wons thanks for the turkey day wishes. Mr Wons hit the nail on the head about this day having a different feel to other days. We have a ritual here for the night crew. Fly all night, towards 0400 or so things quiet down, usually, and we go take a nap or catch up on paperwork, go out and get our powdered eggs, cold grits, and hamburger patty sausage for breakfast, watch Seinfeld on Armed Forces Network, then at 0700 go brave the low 30's weather and preflight the on-coming day crew's aircraft. Today it was a beautiful, freezing cold, windy, sunrise, and made me think that this day, though it seems the same, feels just a little different. As I walked out to the flightline it felt good, albeit chilly, to be an American. So for that small instant it felt like a day better and more sacred than most days. I went to sleep late and had to rise early for a planning meeting so I missed the chow hall chow. I hear they had a decent spread. The flightline chow hall where I ate, had some decent ham, mashed potatoes, and corn, it wasn't really filling, but it was good. I'm waiting for midnight rations anxiously right about now. Tomorrow will be business as usual though, just like today. I heard the Commanding General doesn't do his daily situation briefs on Sunday, he must be the only Marine in Iraq that knows what day of the week of it is, because there is no difference between Monday or Friday to anyone I know. the only thing that marks the day is on sunday the chow hall claims to serve crab legs. Anyways, I have some work to get done. Now that fallujah is winding down, the after actions and lessons learned are coming out. All in all, the Marines and Army units that helped out shattered the notions of Urban warfare. The losses we had were tragic and they will not be forgotten, but they were far less than anyone had expected considering doctrine calls for 75% casualties in urban warfare. The insurgents had upwards of 75% casualties. Further operations planned will keep them guessing and dying for quite some time, but the scale will not be the same as Fallujah.
Hope everyone has a special day, can't wait to catch up on lost time when I get back. Happy turkey or Tofurkey day to one and all, thanks for the thoughts and prayers.
Love,
Will
Mom, Dad, Mr Wons thanks for the turkey day wishes. Mr Wons hit the nail on the head about this day having a different feel to other days. We have a ritual here for the night crew. Fly all night, towards 0400 or so things quiet down, usually, and we go take a nap or catch up on paperwork, go out and get our powdered eggs, cold grits, and hamburger patty sausage for breakfast, watch Seinfeld on Armed Forces Network, then at 0700 go brave the low 30's weather and preflight the on-coming day crew's aircraft. Today it was a beautiful, freezing cold, windy, sunrise, and made me think that this day, though it seems the same, feels just a little different. As I walked out to the flightline it felt good, albeit chilly, to be an American. So for that small instant it felt like a day better and more sacred than most days. I went to sleep late and had to rise early for a planning meeting so I missed the chow hall chow. I hear they had a decent spread. The flightline chow hall where I ate, had some decent ham, mashed potatoes, and corn, it wasn't really filling, but it was good. I'm waiting for midnight rations anxiously right about now. Tomorrow will be business as usual though, just like today. I heard the Commanding General doesn't do his daily situation briefs on Sunday, he must be the only Marine in Iraq that knows what day of the week of it is, because there is no difference between Monday or Friday to anyone I know. the only thing that marks the day is on sunday the chow hall claims to serve crab legs. Anyways, I have some work to get done. Now that fallujah is winding down, the after actions and lessons learned are coming out. All in all, the Marines and Army units that helped out shattered the notions of Urban warfare. The losses we had were tragic and they will not be forgotten, but they were far less than anyone had expected considering doctrine calls for 75% casualties in urban warfare. The insurgents had upwards of 75% casualties. Further operations planned will keep them guessing and dying for quite some time, but the scale will not be the same as Fallujah.
Hope everyone has a special day, can't wait to catch up on lost time when I get back. Happy turkey or Tofurkey day to one and all, thanks for the thoughts and prayers.
Love,
Will

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home