Capt's Log: Star date - some day in fall of 2004, which one i don't know?
Hi all,
Thanks for all the recent posts. Things here have been pretty quiet in my neck of the woods here at FOB Duke. We have been flying more. It is that time of the month over here where the moon is below the horizon for about 2 weeks, and it makes flying at night that much more difficult. Couple that with a featureless, contrastless desert floor, you have yourself what pilots call IMC (instrument metereological conditions) aka, no visible horizon. I was flying with a young guy in the back seat last night and he was struggling to maintain straight and leve flight on a training exercise with some ch-46’s. I was head down trying to work the FLIR (forward looking infrared radar) and got a little bit of certigo each time I looked up, not fun, but naval flight school teaches you many things about flying in IMC, and we are well prepared for the eventuality, nevertheless, it makes things sporty, and sporty things make you stronger, right? The city of Hit, near our main base has been infiltrated by the Muj (mujahadin). They probably thought we wouldn’t venture into the city to get them, boy were they wrong. Marine Cobras, Hueys, Harriers and Hornets along with the GCE (ground combat element) have been shacking the poor bastards. We refuse to let any city in our area of operations become another Fallujah. We look at it as an opportunity to teach the AIF (anti-iraqi forces) a lesson in overpowering combat power and how it can be applied with precision. Fallujah is your last hideout, and that festering sore will soon be applied a liberal portion of bactine.
Go to do laundry by hand again last night, I was down to my last pair of socks and skivvies. The water was an opaque brown when it was only 3 inches deep in the bucket, and that was the tap water, needless to say it was a darker shade when my clothes were rinsed in it, the clothes are a little stiff, but they are more clean than before. My next task is to get a haircut. I’m a big fan of the low regulation haircut, so it is difficult to find a good barber in these parts. The haji barber that we let on base is quite horrible, and I hear he enjoys giving post cut messages to his customers a little too much. I hear there is a sergeant somewhere that does a decent fade. I will seek him out this evening after a short cat nap. I’ve been reading The Gettysburg Campaign, a very academic, but interesting study in command of the entire campaign. Just go to the chapter where the rebels cross into PA and come up the Cumberland Valley with their eyes on Harrisburg. It goes over the dismal turnout for the PA governor’s call to arms. The Pennsylvanian population should be given no credit for the 2nd Confederate invasion of the north being repelled. It’s pretty shameful actually. Kind of gives a little more meaning to all those signs you see on Carlisle Pike about the advance of Confederate soldiers on Harrisburg.
I will cut this off now, my hair isn’t getting any shorter. I submitted by Absentee Write-in florida ballot a few days ago. Let’s hope it makes a big a difference as it did last time.
Take care, love and prayers,
will
Thanks for all the recent posts. Things here have been pretty quiet in my neck of the woods here at FOB Duke. We have been flying more. It is that time of the month over here where the moon is below the horizon for about 2 weeks, and it makes flying at night that much more difficult. Couple that with a featureless, contrastless desert floor, you have yourself what pilots call IMC (instrument metereological conditions) aka, no visible horizon. I was flying with a young guy in the back seat last night and he was struggling to maintain straight and leve flight on a training exercise with some ch-46’s. I was head down trying to work the FLIR (forward looking infrared radar) and got a little bit of certigo each time I looked up, not fun, but naval flight school teaches you many things about flying in IMC, and we are well prepared for the eventuality, nevertheless, it makes things sporty, and sporty things make you stronger, right? The city of Hit, near our main base has been infiltrated by the Muj (mujahadin). They probably thought we wouldn’t venture into the city to get them, boy were they wrong. Marine Cobras, Hueys, Harriers and Hornets along with the GCE (ground combat element) have been shacking the poor bastards. We refuse to let any city in our area of operations become another Fallujah. We look at it as an opportunity to teach the AIF (anti-iraqi forces) a lesson in overpowering combat power and how it can be applied with precision. Fallujah is your last hideout, and that festering sore will soon be applied a liberal portion of bactine.
Go to do laundry by hand again last night, I was down to my last pair of socks and skivvies. The water was an opaque brown when it was only 3 inches deep in the bucket, and that was the tap water, needless to say it was a darker shade when my clothes were rinsed in it, the clothes are a little stiff, but they are more clean than before. My next task is to get a haircut. I’m a big fan of the low regulation haircut, so it is difficult to find a good barber in these parts. The haji barber that we let on base is quite horrible, and I hear he enjoys giving post cut messages to his customers a little too much. I hear there is a sergeant somewhere that does a decent fade. I will seek him out this evening after a short cat nap. I’ve been reading The Gettysburg Campaign, a very academic, but interesting study in command of the entire campaign. Just go to the chapter where the rebels cross into PA and come up the Cumberland Valley with their eyes on Harrisburg. It goes over the dismal turnout for the PA governor’s call to arms. The Pennsylvanian population should be given no credit for the 2nd Confederate invasion of the north being repelled. It’s pretty shameful actually. Kind of gives a little more meaning to all those signs you see on Carlisle Pike about the advance of Confederate soldiers on Harrisburg.
I will cut this off now, my hair isn’t getting any shorter. I submitted by Absentee Write-in florida ballot a few days ago. Let’s hope it makes a big a difference as it did last time.
Take care, love and prayers,
will

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home