1 sep 2004 report
Hello All, congratulations to Charece on her new job as a Frito-Lay executive. I expect many nice gifts now in the mail, no fritos please….
I got word I will be shortly returning to our main base at Al Asad. I enjoyed the FOB and will probably be back up here again before too long. I moved to the day shift unfortunately. It is too dang hot here to do anything during the day, much less be in a Cobra. The high temp for August here along the border was 125F. Fortunately, I was usually asleep when it was this hot in a nice air-conditioned hole. The accommodations in the rear are much nicer, but the simplicity and small-ness of the FOB are what makes it attractive, that and I’m considered the adult supervision for my crew….scary as that may seem. Daily reports are encouraging in certain areas of the country. ISF (Iraqi Security Forces) continue to grow in competence and trust worthiness. Even when they respond to an attack by themselves, is seen as an encouraging sign. In certain areas they have been taking a much larger leading role in providing law and order and that is a good thing for us. The initiative seized from the Najaf campaign continues to echo throughout our operations here in the Al Anbar province. The AIF (anti-Iraqi forces) took a pummeling and are certainly trying to re-group. Marines are striving to keep them off balance with aggressive operations and targeting. Haven’t been flying much of late, which is fine by me, too dang hot now anyway. Been seeing the news clipping from the Republican National Convention, for every 1 article about the convention you see 2 articles about the protests….such slanted coverage. Someone acquired a bootleg copy of Michael Moore’s Farenheit 911, I watched about 10 minutes before I came to the conclusion that I would rather eat from the floor of one of these port-o-johns than watch anymore of that BS. The movie was written at the intellectual level of a 2nd grader and the claims he makes are not only false, but preposterous. The anti-war protest are a real joy also to see. Freedom isn’t free. Hopefully GW gets a bounce from his convention, the war on terror will become the convention on terror if Kerry takes over, he may have some good ideas on how to make things better….he can do that from the Senate floor. Anyways, I know some of you out there are not as slanted as me, Dad, and Mr Wons, so I’ll spare you my liberal bashing……for now!!! Mail just showed up, got a package from David and Leise and Mom and Dad, thanks much, I’ll open them after I get off the blog. Thanks much for whatever you sent, getting love at mail call is enough to bring a tear to a man’s eye. Yesterday I got letters from Willie and Dom, and Charece and Fancy. Well I’m getting to the bottom of the page, and the curiosity about the packages is getting the best of me. I’ll talk to you all later on, probably from a nicer place. Take Care. Love, will
I got word I will be shortly returning to our main base at Al Asad. I enjoyed the FOB and will probably be back up here again before too long. I moved to the day shift unfortunately. It is too dang hot here to do anything during the day, much less be in a Cobra. The high temp for August here along the border was 125F. Fortunately, I was usually asleep when it was this hot in a nice air-conditioned hole. The accommodations in the rear are much nicer, but the simplicity and small-ness of the FOB are what makes it attractive, that and I’m considered the adult supervision for my crew….scary as that may seem. Daily reports are encouraging in certain areas of the country. ISF (Iraqi Security Forces) continue to grow in competence and trust worthiness. Even when they respond to an attack by themselves, is seen as an encouraging sign. In certain areas they have been taking a much larger leading role in providing law and order and that is a good thing for us. The initiative seized from the Najaf campaign continues to echo throughout our operations here in the Al Anbar province. The AIF (anti-Iraqi forces) took a pummeling and are certainly trying to re-group. Marines are striving to keep them off balance with aggressive operations and targeting. Haven’t been flying much of late, which is fine by me, too dang hot now anyway. Been seeing the news clipping from the Republican National Convention, for every 1 article about the convention you see 2 articles about the protests….such slanted coverage. Someone acquired a bootleg copy of Michael Moore’s Farenheit 911, I watched about 10 minutes before I came to the conclusion that I would rather eat from the floor of one of these port-o-johns than watch anymore of that BS. The movie was written at the intellectual level of a 2nd grader and the claims he makes are not only false, but preposterous. The anti-war protest are a real joy also to see. Freedom isn’t free. Hopefully GW gets a bounce from his convention, the war on terror will become the convention on terror if Kerry takes over, he may have some good ideas on how to make things better….he can do that from the Senate floor. Anyways, I know some of you out there are not as slanted as me, Dad, and Mr Wons, so I’ll spare you my liberal bashing……for now!!! Mail just showed up, got a package from David and Leise and Mom and Dad, thanks much, I’ll open them after I get off the blog. Thanks much for whatever you sent, getting love at mail call is enough to bring a tear to a man’s eye. Yesterday I got letters from Willie and Dom, and Charece and Fancy. Well I’m getting to the bottom of the page, and the curiosity about the packages is getting the best of me. I’ll talk to you all later on, probably from a nicer place. Take Care. Love, will

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home