Thursday, August 26, 2004

TGIF?

Hi all,

Friday early morning here in the western al anbar province. Just did my laundry in a Haji designed washing machine. You have to manually fill it up with water, wait for it to swish the clothes around, hit a button to drain it, refill with water, swish to rinse, then take a few articles at a time and put them in this spin dry thing which works haphazardly at best. I gave up, and just hung them up to dry. Tonight for dinner, I had the choice between shelf stable vegetable lasagna and shelf stable boneless bbq ribs, I chose the lasagna, it was a poor choice. I ate some jerky that my neighbor Willie and Dominic sent me for a nightcap.

Last night had a mission brief with the grunts for a mission we flew later that night. Got to meet some Iraqi nationals who participated in the mission with us, first time I shook an Iraqis hand. I was in the back of the room, surrounded by them, they didn’t try anything funny though, hard to let the suspicions go sometimes. In the morning after my shift ended, on the way to the chow hall, we saw the detainees they had brought in, fruits of the mission. I wanted to take a picture of them, but thought of Abu Grayib and thought better. Although they were treated as humanely as an AIF (anti-Iraqi fighter) in captivity should be, I couldn’t help but want to go kick each and everyone of them in the junk. That is how we refer to them, AIF. Sometimes the slanted and perverted press refers to them as Freedom Fighters which is as slanted and perverted a spin you can put on it.

Haven’t seen any of the Olympics, the satellite TV in the chow hall is usually tuned to ESPN 2, so I get to catch gylmpses of the Little League world series, something that interests me as much as a third tour over here. In the evening they have the nightly news on, get to see lots of Abu Grayib coverage. Amazing how a handful of freaking morons can cause such a mess. Well, I’ll keep the political posturing to a minimum this time, for everyone’s sake. I need to build up some more frustration for next week. David thanks for the update again. More to come later. Love and prayers, Will

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home